What Is It?
The See for Yourself approach is a fun and effective way to build fulfilling relationships with your kids while passing on the Catholic Faith.
The approach is simple: dad uses viral YouTube videos as icebreakers to capture the attention and imagination of the whole family, and then turns that captivation into lively discussion about life and the Faith. It’s really cool.
We make implementing this approach easy by providing See for Yourself guides. Each of these online guides includes 1-3 hand-selected videos along with questions, answers and activities designed to engage the whole family.
The guides offer the Catholic perspective on a variety of topics, from Angels, Demons, and the Church Militant to Fatherhood, Humanity, Beauty and the role of Emotions.
How It Works
Use videos like these to build relationships and pass on the Catholic Faith!
Why Is It Effective?
1. It’s Fun
This one is obvious: watching cool videos together is fun. The See for Yourself approach isn’t something your kids are going to dread, it’s something they’ll look forward to. That’s the first step in building fulfilling relationships and passing on the Faith: positive and memorable experiences.
2. Dad is #1
The See For Yourself approach doesn’t replace dad, it equips him. When you use this approach, you aren’t just a passive observer to a program made for the whole family: you are the leader utilizing an approach designed specifically for you to connect with your family. When you take up your role as leader, your kids respond.
3. Speaking Your Kids’ Language
YouTube is the most used app of Gen Z (kids born after 1995). Your kids are accustomed to watching videos online and then sharing them with their friends. The See for Yourself approach uses these exact same videos, but this time, YOU are the one sharing them. In a sense, you are speaking to your kids in their own language.
4. Belong, then Believe
Children have a deep desire to be sought out, known, and loved by their father. For them to care what you have to say about the Catholic Faith, they first need to know that you care about them. They need to feel like they belong. Once they belong, they will grow to believe the same things you believe. The See for Yourself approach marries both of these ideas. By seeking out your kids, speaking their language, and affirming them, you establish the kind of relationship necessary to plant the seeds of belief: belief in your love and God’s love.
5. Viral Videos as Parables
Jesus spoke in parables, simple stories that imprint deeply in our minds and offer ever new insights. The See for Yourself approach uses viral YouTube videos as parables. Just as the prodigal son can teach us about God’s unending love, so can a dad carrying his son to the finish line of an Olympic race. These types of memorable stories – stories that everyone gets at their own level – are the best way to pass on the eternal Truths of the Catholic Faith.
For Your Kids
- Kids feel loved. When you consistently take the time to dialogue with your kids, affirm them, and engage them about the big questions of life and eternity, they feel cared for and accompanied. Your affirmation and interest make kids feel stability and love.
- Building Bridges. This approach opens the door to the type of family intimacy needed to talk about the most important things in life. When your kids feel heard and pursued by you, they are willing to share their hearts, their fears, and their dreams. Your kids will open up and blossom.
- Learning Priorities. “There is need of only one thing.” – Luke 10:42 God tells us that loving Him wholeheartedly is THE priority. When you take up this See for Yourself approach, your kids not only learn what is most important, they also begin to experience for themselves God’s wonder and love. They discover the joy of the only life priority worth living for – and dying for.
For Your Wife
- Wives feel loved. Very much so! When you take up the spiritual headship of the family, your wife feels feel freed to step back into her desired role as heart of the family. She feels loved because you “get it” and have prioritized your kids and family in the most important area: eternal life.
- Your wife will be warmer. Seriously. We hear this constantly. Wives feel loved and in turn are more affectionate and appreciative of dad. They look at dad with more delight and are more attracted to him. Pretty great, right?
- Your kids will be warmer. Dad receives extra smiles and hugs. Kids show more appreciation and are more cooperative and open. The relationship gets easier and more fulfilling.
- You will feel more satisfied. You will feel a surge in confidence from the warm response of your family. You will see your progress toward your greatest priority: getting your kids and wife to heaven. The goodness of God will swell your soul, since you are acting in accord with your own Father who desires all of His children to be with Him forever in Heaven.