Can you see the deeper beauty hidden behind a very unattractive appearance?
(View segment from 5:27 to 6:10)
What deeper beauty did you see in the apple lady?
- The virtues of compassion and generosity.
Why do you think the boy hesitated before receiving her gift?
- He was at first surprised by her disfigured face, but then he saw the deeper beauty of her kindness.
Can you see any similarities between the apple lady and Jesus on the cross?
- Both were shockingly disfigured.
- Isaiah prophesied about Jesus’s crucifixion: “The crowds were appalled on seeing him – so disfigured did he look that he seemed no longer human.”
- The lady was trying to keep the boy from starving to death, and so she reached out offering a red apple. Christ saves our soul from sin and death, and so He reaches out offering His pierced, loving heart.